In September of 1977 the Indian Band started looking after the education needs of Indian children and running its own schools. The Band leased Old Gateway, New Gateway and the five-classroom portable school on the same site for the sum of $100.00 from the Northern School Board, with the agreement that the La Ronge Indian Band would supply its own utilities and upkeep.
On April 28, 1980 teachers and pupils moved into the new Indian Band school which had been under construction since 1978. It is near the junction of the road leading to Bell’s Point (http://188.8.131.52/localhistory/53k/53ka0100.jpg). The name of the school was Kitsaki school.
In March 12, 1993, Kitsaki School was renamed Senator Myles Venne School (SMVS), to honour the late Senator Myles Venne and his contributions to band control over the LLRIB education system
Due to the high number of students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 at SMVS, a plan for a new elementary school was implemented.
In the late 90’s, a project team was established to assist with the planning and to provide direction with the building of the new elementary school. A contest was held to name the new school.
Bell’s Point Elementary opened its doors to K-Gr.4 students in August 2002.
The original school in Sucker River was known as Chief James Roberts School and operated from 1974 until 1996.
This school is now dedicated to the memory of Chief Moses Ratt. Chief Moses Ratt served as Chief of the Lac La Ronge Indian Band from 1946 -1954.
Sally Ross School first opened in 1984 in Hall Lake. Sally Ross School is dedicated to Sally Ross and is named in her memory.
The first adult education classes were held in Kitsaki Hall with teachers Julie Nagy and June Lieb sharing the classroom. In addition, Gill Gracie held a class at La Ronge Industries. The students were mainly Treaty Indians with a few Metis (http://184.108.40.206/localhistory/53k/53ka0100.jpg).